NCAA has been on Miami case for five months
Posted August 17, 2011
Just a week after NCAA President Mark Emmert lead a retreat in Indianapolis for administrators and representatives to discuss reform in collegiate athletics, the spotlight of wrong-doing is again burning bright, this time on the University of Miami.
Emmert told Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio Wednesday that that the NCAA has known about allegations of a booster's gifts to Miami athletes for about five months.
Emmert agrees the system that manages and oversees compliance with rules of amateurism needs to be addressed.
On Tuesday Yahoo! Sports unveiled a detailed investigative report on the thousands of improper benefits given to at least 72 Miami athletes between 2002 to 2010.
"We've had a whole string of these high profile cases that are very disturbing, and you can't look at that and say it's working well. It's not," Emmert said.
"We have to have a set of rules that are clear – that focus on the things that matter and not on the things that don't matter. We've got to clean out a rule book that has a variety of extraneous unenforceable rules and focus on those things that are serious threats."
Emmert couldn't answer specifically how long Miami's situation will take to assess.
"The average case is a six- or seven-month process," Emmert said. "We've had some you've seen in the past, even before my tenure, that the USC case took multiple years. But the reality is that most of these cases are resolved within a six- or seven-month period."
Miami is the latest in a string of major college football programs to present problems to the NCAA. Those problems, according to Emmert, were the largest focus of discussion at last week's retreat.