McAdoo: 'We were all done wrong in this process'
Posted September 7, 2011
Updated September 8, 2011
DURHAM, N.C. — The University of North Carolina has asked a judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by former football player Michael McAdoo.
The school and Chancellor Holden Thorp filed papers in Durham Superior Court on Tuesday asking that the lawsuit be dropped, contending that McAdoo is ineligible to return to the Tar Heels because he signed a contract with the Baltimore Ravens.
A hearing is scheduled for Oct. 11.
McAdoo sued July 1, after the NCAA ruled him permanently ineligible to play college sports.
Asked Wednesday about the suit, McAdoo said, "I feel I was done wrong. I should go on with this."
McAdoo also said North Carolina mistreated former defensive coordinator John Blake.
"I feel like he was done wrong as well. What he went through, I just feel like he was done wrong," he said. "We were all done wrong in this process."
McAdoo's lawyer, Noah Huffstetler III, says he is not surprised by the request. Huffstetler has said McAdoo was found guilty of only one of three violations reported to the NCAA.
Last week, one of McAdoo's former professors, Julius Nyang'oro, resigned as chairman of the Department of African and Afro-American Studies amid a UNC investigation into "possible irregularities with courses that included undergraduate students."
Nyang'oro taught a class in which McAdoo wrote a research paper that later led to accusations of plagiarism.
McAdoo, who spoke with The Insiders on 620 the Buzz Wednesday, said he's done his best to put the situation at North Carolina behind him.
"Everything is behind me now," he said. "I'm just looking down a narrow path and not looking back."