May 12, 2010
The North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame has selected seven outstanding North Carolina sports figures for induction into the Hall in 2010.
The inductees will be introduced at a 2:00 PM news conference at the N.C. Museum of History on Wednesday, May 12, and will be enshrined at the 47th annual induction ceremony the next day.
Below are the seven Class of 2010 inductees and a brief history of their accomplishments:
· Herb Appenzeller, a Wake Forest Football player in the 1940s and long-time athletic director at Guilford College
· Jim Donnan, a highly successful football coach at the University of Georgia and former quarterback for N.C. State University
· Don McCauley, an All America running back at the University of North Carolina and Baltimore Colts pro bowler
· Carla Overbeck, a three-time All America soccer star at UNC-CH who now coaches at Duke University
· Mike Quick, an outstanding receiver at N.C. State and top draft choice of the Philadelphia Eagles
· Karen Shelton, whose UNC-CH field hockey teams have won seven national titles
· Paul Simson, one of the state’s most accomplished amateur golfers with two British Amateur Senior Open championships among his victories