Four NC State soccer players dismissed after arrests
Posted October 18, 2012
Updated July 31
Editor's Note: Charges of resisting arrest and underage drinking against Nader Jaibat were later dismissed and his record was expunged.
Four North Carolina State University soccer players were dismissed from the soccer team following their arrests at a sports bar Sunday night, assistant media relations director Cavan Foster said.
Police responded to The Downtown Sports Bar at approximately 1:45 a.m. Sunday after an altercation inside. Jim Sughrue, a spokesman for the Raleigh Police Department, said Nader Jaibat, Monbo Bokar, Michael Nelson and Jonathan Ray were escorted out of the bar where one student-athlete engaged in a physical altercation with another individual.
"When dealing with NC State students we notify NC State police, we work with them and they work with us," said Sughrue.
All of the student-athletes were charged with resisting, delaying or obstructing arrest. Jaibat and Bokar were charged with underage drinking, Nelson received a charge of simple affray and Ray was charged with disorderly conduct.
In at least one case, an individual had a false I.D. but no charges were made against the establishment.
Due to the incident, the NC State athletic department has said student-athletes are no longer allowed to go to Downtown Sports Bar.
The Downtown Sports Bar is the same bar that grabbed headlines earlier this year after a customer said he was kicked out because of his race. Criminal chargers were dismissed after the court ruled there was not enough evidence to go to trial, general manager Todd Chriscoe maintains he did nothing wrong.