MTEN: NC State Falls at Miami
Posted March 23
Miami — The NC State men’s tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision Sunday afternoon against No. 72 Miami at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
State (11-5, 0-4 ACC) opened the match by securing the doubles point for the 13th time this season and the third consecutive match.
Miami won the first doubles match of the afternoon from the No. 2 position, as Sean Weber and Nick Horton dropped a hard-fought, 8-6, match against Miami’s Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto. Ian Dempster and Robbie Mudge responded with a victory at the top position of the lineup, as the duo defeated Omar Aly and Wilfredo Gonzalez, 8-5.
At the No. 3 spot in the order, Austin Powell and Thomas Weigel sealed the doubles point for the Wolfpack with an 8-5 victory over William Albanese and Henrique Tsukamoto.
The Pack increased its lead to 3-0 following wins at the No. 5 and No. 1 position. Weigel earned a straight-set victory against Miami’s Albanese, 6-2, 6-1, while Powell earned a victory from the top spot in the order against Aly, 6-2, 6-3.
The ‘Canes would answer as Flores defeated Mudge, 7-5, 6-4, while Tsukamoto earned a victory at the sixth position against Simon Norenius, 6-2, 7-5. At the fourth spot in the order, Weber dropped his first set in a tiebreak, 7-6 (7), before falling in the match against Gonzalez, 7-6 (7), 6-1.
In the deciding match of the afternoon on court three, Horton dropped his first set, 7-6 (9), but came back to force a decisive third set by taking the second set, 6-3. However, Soto would win the decisive frame to clinch the match for Miami with a 7-6 (9), 3-6, 6-1 victory.
The Wolfpack will return to action at the Dail Outdoor Tennis Stadium against Clemson on Saturday, March 29. First serve is set for noon.
Tennis Match Results
NC State vs Miami
(Neil Schiff Tennis Center)
March 23, 2014 at Coral Gables, Fla.
#72 Miami 4, #31 NC State 3
1. #41 Austin Powell (NCS) def. Omar Aly (UM) 6-2, 6-3
2. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. #98 Robbie Mudge (NCS) 7-5, 6-4
3. Diego Soto (UM) def. Nick Horton (NCS) 7-6 (11-9), 3-6, 6-1
4. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Sean Weber (NCS) 7-6 (9-7), 6-1
5. Thomas Weigel (NCS) def. William Albanese (UM) 6-2, 6-1
6. Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Simon Norenius (NCS) 6-2, 7-5
1. Ian Dempster/Robbie Mudge (NCS) def. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) 8-5
2. Gabriel Flores/Diego Soto (UM) def. #27 Sean Weber/Nick Horton (NCS) 8-6
3. Austin Powell/Thomas Weigel (NCS) def. William Albanese/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,1,2,6,4,3)