Plenty of positives in ECU win
Posted September 6, 2013
A few 3 a.m. thoughts upon arriving home from ECU's 31-13 win over Florida Atlantic:
- The Pirates have found themselves a player in Davon Grayson. The freshman won a starting spot in camp, and has done nothing to disappoint since. Four touchdown catches in two games is nothing to sneeze at — or cough, sniffle or burp either. His first-quarter TD catch was one not every receiver makes.
- Mobile quarterbacks will give the Pirates trouble, unless adjustments are made defensively. Several times Thursday night, the Pirates seemed to have Jaquez Johnson hemmed in for a sack only to see him gain first-down yardage instead of losing yards. Next up: Logan Thomas.
- Early-game QB containment aside, the Pirates defense responded nicely after a poor performance against ODU in week one. Ruffin McNeill called this win a "man-up" effort by his team, and the ECU defense definitely "manned-up" for this one. They nearly kept FAU out of the end zone – save for a meaningless TD with a minute to go.
- If ever a game illuminated the changing world of college football, it was this one: Florida Atlantic is just coming into Conference USA, while ECU is on its way out – heading for a conference that has already changed its name since the Pirates accepted a bid. This was their one-and-only matchup as conference rivals.
- Ruffin McNeill's enthusiasm is infectious, and it's so good to seem him able to lead his team out with all of that fire.
- I remain convinced the best barbecue is found east of I-95. Just saying.
- Dowdy-Ficklen continues to be a great place to watch a football game. It has an atmosphere all its own – love how the crowd often finishes songs after the PA system has stopped playing them.
- Finally, I give the black uniforms a thumb's-up - but let's keep them as an alternate. It's a little hard to spot numbers when it's purple on black.