Troubled Hairston no longer enrolled at UNC
Posted January 9
Chapel Hill, N.C. — After losing the remainder of his NCAA basketball eligibility in December, PJ Hairston has decided to step away from school altogether. The former guard is no longer enrolled at the University of North Carolina, the school confirmed Thursday.
It was announced Dec. 20 that UNC would not to reinstate Hairston following multiple off-the-court issues, including a June 5 traffic stop where marijuana and a gun were recovered in and near a car that was rented out by a convicted felon. Hairston was arrested and charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession and driving without a license but the charges were dismissed on July 22 after Hairston showed proof that he had a driver's license and had completed a drug assessment program.
"Unfortunately, P.J. made a number of mistakes that placed his eligibility at risk, and the university's joint review with the NCAA made it clear that seeking reinstatement for P.J. would not be possible," director of athletics Bubba Cunningham said in a statement on Dec. 20. "The university thanks him for his contributions to Carolina basketball."
Hairston, a Greensboro native, averaged a team-high 14.6 points per game for the Tar Heels a year ago. In the course of his 71-game Carolina career, he scored 707 points and made 127 three-pointers.
On Tuesday, Hairston tweeted out back-to-back messages saying “My dream stands in front of me...” and “Next stop, Chi town!”
Jonathan Givony, of Draft Express, said on Twitter Wednesday that Hairston, along with dismissed University of Louisville player Chane Behanan, are each expected to enter the player pool in the coming week with hopes of playing in the NBA Developmental League this season.
Hairston was also cited in July with speeding and careless and reckless driving after being clocked at 93 mph in a 65-mph zone on southbound Interstate 85 near Salisbury. Hairston pleaded guilty to a lesser charge and paid a fine.
UNC head basketball coach Roy Williams suspended the Tar Heels’ leading scorer July 29 following his third arrest and punished him with "an extremely intense conditioning program."
Hairston was present at the preseason Late Night with Roy event in October and was seen on the sidelines, although wearing a suit instead of a uniform, up until last week during Tar Heels home games.
Following UNC’s decision not to seek reinstatement for Hairston, his family issued a statement that read, "We are displeased with the University of North Carolina's decision not to submit the necessary paperwork to the NCAA requesting to have P.J. reinstated. This process has been long, and for it to end without having a final decision from the governing body is a shame.”