H1N1 equals no nightlife for the Tar Heels
Posted September 14, 2009
Last week, North Carolina became one of a growing number of college football teams dealing with the H1N1 virus.
Two Tar Heel players, fullback Bobby Rome and reserve defensive tackle Jordan Nix, tested positive last week for probable H1N1 influenza.
Rome is back in meetings now, but both players missed Saturday’s win at Connecticut.
“You know flu’s something that, it’s probably going to run throughout the entire country on all college campuses throughout the fall,” UNC coach Butch Davis said Monday. “We just hope we don’t get a huge number of those.”
The numbers are on the rise. Last week Mississippi lost as many as 30 players to flu-like symptoms, including star quarterback Jevan Snead.
Stillman College in Alabama even cancelled a game because of swine flu.
Carolina’s not doing that, but after two positive test results, they are counseling their players on ways to avoid exposure.
“We’re trying to stay out of areas that might be crowded or have a lot of guys sweating,” said UNC defensive back Deunta Williams. “Like clubs or bars.”
That “stay at home message” comes straight from the UNC staff.
“That’s one thing our athletic training staff was trying to reiterate to us,” UNC quarterback T.J. Yates said. “Going out Saturday night after the game was not really a good idea, with people everywhere in crowded places.”
“You have to sacrifice for the greater good,” added Williams. “I want to play on Saturdays, I don’t want anything to affect my play. So I’ll stay in on Saturday night if I have to.”
Duke has already been through a swine flu scare. During the preseason, nearly half of Duke’s team was treated for symptoms related to the virus.