Talking points: NC State in a wild loss at Miami
Sep 29, 2012
1. NC State started the game with promise, but they quickly got off the rails following Tony Creecy’s first touchdown. Miami answered with three straight touchdowns and were gifted a safety thanks to a bad snap over Mike Glennon.
Missed assignments, missed tackles, penalties and a costly turnover. If it could go wrong, it essentially did for NC State. Stephen Morris was 11-for-15 for 269 yards in the opening 15 minutes, throwing three touchdowns before Sterling Lucas stopped the bleeding for the Wolfpack with an interception in the endzone.
Typically teams don’t recover from such terrible starts, but the game evolved into a shootout and the Wolfpack tied the game at 37 with two minutes left in the contest.
2. NC State and Miami combined for 1,326 total yards of offense and 10 touchdowns. Those are Tecmo Bowl numbers.
3. Does orange act like Kryptonite for David Amerson? Much like the his performance against Tennessee, the All-American cornerback set fire to his NFL Draft stock throughout the game.
Amerson was caught looking on Miami’s first and second touchdowns of the game. During Rashawn Scott’s 76-yard touchdown catch, a broken play where NC State failed to recognize Miami’s free play because of offsides, he miscommunicated with Brandon Bishop.
Amerson attempted to block a Miami field goal at the end of the 3rd quarter, but his offsides resulted in a fresh set of downs for the Hurricanes. Duke Johnson rushed for a 4-yard touchdown on the next play.
With Miami nursing a 30-27 lead with under 10 minutes in the game, Amerson and Bishop were targeted twice on a pivotal drive. The Hurricanes converted a 3rd down when Morris found Phillip Dorsett between the combo for a 46-yard gain. Morris then threw a 13-yard touchdown to Scott that initially went through Bishop’s hands and bounced off his helmet while Amerson trailed.
On Miami’s game-winning touchdown, Amerson appeared to concede the catch by Dorsett. He never looked back and slowed down to focus on the tackle at the goal line.
4. As bad as the 1st quarter was, NC State only found themselves down 23-14 going into the half. Miami’s defense, a considerable weakness, didn’t do much to get in NC State’s way. Unfortunately, the Wolfpack did a fine enough job stopping themselves.
Glennon passes resulted in several drops. The Wolfpack were penalized 14 times for 98 yards, with most consisting of the pre-snap variety. Alarming for a team approaching the midway point of the season.
Three of NC State’s first four fumbles came in successive order in the 2nd quarter. Miami’s offense, while explosive, has operated in fits this season and did not convert any of those turnovers into points. Miami ultimately gave the game away through the kicking game, with Jake Wieclaw missing three field goals. By far the biggest bullets dodged on Saturday afternoon, which allowed the Wolfpack to turn a potential blowout into a thriller.
5. Lost in the aftermath, Glennon filled up the box score, going 24-of-42 for 441 yards and throwing four touchdowns. Even the safety, which was the result of a botched snap, was a head’s up play that prevented a touchdown.
Glennon’s arm punt with 1:13 left in the game was his first real mistake, which also happened to be the costliest of the final quarter.
6. Winter is coming for House O’Brien.
Most Recent Comments
RE: Talking points: NC State in a wild loss at MiamiCorrect me if I'm wrong but TOB has 1 more year on his contract. Yow didn't hire him. She has made it clear that she will not tolrate mediocre teams. I see TOB gone if the team doesn't make a major turn around. Do I like TOB? Yes. Do I want him gone? I am nore sure. Glennon is gone next year so I just don't see him lasting through the end of his contract if State keeps playing like this. That was the worst game I think I've seen State play in years and this was supposed to be a good year.
RE: Talking points: NC State in a wild loss at MiamiSeems to me, Amerson needs to decide whether to sit on the bench and dream of playing in the NFL or play for the Wolfpack while he's there.
RE: Talking points: NC State in a wild loss at MiamiThe running game was beautiful!!! They just need to learn to hold on to the football...which they will...this week. Take my word for it!!!!
RE: Talking points: NC State in a wild loss at MiamiBut TOB has sent ALL of those great QBs to the NFL, according to TBK. Doesn't that count for anything? And Amerson the All-American? He's getting eaten alive so far this season.
As far as recruits go.....I guess they can't read and don't watch TV.