Williams: Issues are embarrassing
Posted July 15, 2013
Updated July 16, 2013
Chapel Hill, N.C. — University of North Carolina head basketball coach Roy Williams issued a statement Monday, addressing a June arrest by junior guard PJ Hairston.
Breaking his silence on the situation, Williams said, “PJ and I have had several discussions already, and he knows he has made serious mistakes and there will be serious consequences as a result. Certainly the idea of suspending PJ has been discussed. However, he is not currently enrolled in summer school, is not practicing with the team and we have no games until November.”
Williams went on to say, “There are several options available in terms of discipline but we are going to wait until the process is complete to decide on those options.”
Williams said that he was initially going to wait for the legal process to play out before making a statement, but changed his mind.
Hairston was arrested on June 5 at a traffic check point while in a rental vehicle that he has said he received from a Durham man named Haydn “Fats” Thomas. He was cited for driving without a license and misdemeanor possession of marijuana.
Two others in the car, Miykael Faulcon, a basketball player at Elizabeth City State, and 23-year-old Carlos Sanford were also charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession. All three men were released June 6 on $10,000 unsecured bonds.
A 9-mm hand gun and ammunition were discovered during the time of the stop, but Durham Police Department said last week that they do not plan on charging any of the three men in connection with the weapon.
A ECSU spokesperson said Monday that rising sophomore Faulcon is registered for fall classes at the school and they “are still in the process of gathering additional information and waiting for the judicial process to run its course.” The spokesperson added that the NCAA has not inquired about the situation or Faulcon.
UNC guard Leslie McDonald has also been in the headlines in recent weeks after he was pulled over in a borrowed vehicle on July 4. He was cited to be going 84 mph in a 55 while driving a car owned by a Durham man, Derrick Parker. McDonald also had a Twitter exchange in November linking him to Thomas where he stated he received a phone from “Fats”.
“Other issues have been written about recently that are disturbing and bother me deeply. Our basketball program is based on great ideals, and these issues are embarrassing,” Williams added. “These are not common in my 10 years as head coach at UNC and they will all be dealt with harshly and appropriately at the correct time to ensure that our program will not be compromised.
“We will care about each individual but there will be serious actions taken that will fix these issues. I take pride in our values and how we have conducted ourselves for a long time here at Carolina and this time will pass but it will be dealt with strongly.”
UNC athletic director Bubba Cunningham released a statement last week saying he, “will support the appropriate disciplinary measures" for any player if warranted at the completion of the university's investigation.”