Feb 26, 2013
Durham, N.C. — Following a 7-0 sweep of Princeton Saturday, the Duke women’s tennis team moved up a spot to second place in the first computerized team rankings of the season by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) announced Tuesday. After sweeping both Princeton and Florida in the past two matches, Duke moves into second place behind only ACC counterpart, North Carolina.
In addition to top-ranked North Carolina and Duke, three other Atlantic Coast Conference schools are tabbed in the top-25 including No. 15 Miami, No. 16 Florida State and No. 23 Clemson.
Duke also has five athletes represented in the ITA Singles Rankings, led by junior Hanna Mar who is currently ranked 13th. Mar, a native of Burr Ridge, Ill., has recorded a 17-4 mark on the year, including a 3-1 record in dual matches this spring. Sophomore Ester Goldfeld is listed at No. 39 in the poll, while senior Mary Clayton ranks 62nd.
Sophomore Monica Turewicz is tabbed in the poll for the first time all season, after tallying a perfect 7-0 record in dual matches on the season, extending her singles win streak to 22 consecutive matches dating back to her freshman campaign. Turewicz sits just behind Clayton at No. 66, while junior Marianne Jodoin is slotted at No. 100.
In doubles play, three Blue Devil combinations are ranked led by the duo of Clayton and Goldfeld who were tabbed at No. 10 in the poll. The tandem of Goldfeld and Mar is listed at No. 28, while the team of Mulholland and Goldfeld is slated at No. 54
The second-ranked Blue Devils are next slated to start a four match road trip as they travel to face No. 13 Michigan and No. 18 Notre Dame, Friday, March 1 and Sunday, March 3, respectively.
Rank Avg School
1) 90.24 North Carolina
2) 77.05 Duke University
3) 75.73 UCLA
4) 71.12 University of Florida
5) 60.60 University of Alabama
6) 59.63 Texas A&M University
7) 58.80 University of Georgia
8) 56.80 Northwestern University
9) 52.22 California
10) 51.55 University of Nebraska
11) 50.07 University of Southern California
12) 47.86 Vanderbilt University
13) 47.67 University of Michigan
14) 39.36 Purdue University
15) 39.24 University of Miami (Florida)
16) 35.13 Florida State University
17) 34.63 Auburn University
18) 34.52 University of Notre Dame
19) 30.75 Texas Tech University
20) 28.19 TCU
21) 26.82 Arizona State University
22) 26.33 Univ. of Memphis
23) 26.12 Clemson University
24) 25.37 Baylor University
25) 25.23 College of William and Mary