WTEN: No. 3 Carolina Drops 4-2 Decision To Duke at ITA Team Indoor Championship
Posted February 9, 2014
Charlottesville, Va. — 10th-ranked Duke pulled a 4-2 upset of No. 3 North Carolina on Saturday at the ITA Women's Team Indoor Championship at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
A couple of firsts this season led to the Tar Heels coming up short against the Blue Devils in the quarterfinals of the tournament.
Second-seed North Carolina (5-2) lost the doubles point for the first time this season to fall behind 1-0 to seventh-seeded Duke.
Then later in singles, No. 2 Jamie Loeb lost for the first time since Sept. 15 and for just the second time all year, 6-4, 6-4, to third-ranked Beatrice Capra.
Carolina managed to tie the match 1-1 as No. 5 Hayley Carter breezed to a 6-2, 6-2, victory at second singles over Duke's Chalena Scholl.
At fourth singles, Caroline Price earned a three-set victory over #45 Ester Goldfeld to cut the Tar Heel deficit to 3-2, however, #49 Hanna Mar of Duke downed Carolina's Whitney Kay in the third singles match, 2-6, 6-4, 10-5, to clinch the victory for the Blue Devils.
Carolina returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 19 when it hosts Norfolk State at 2 p.m., and East Carolina later than night at 6:30 p.m., at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Duke University vs North Carolina
Feb 08, 2014 at Charlottesville, Va.
(Boar's Head Sports Club)
Duke University 4, North Carolina 2
1. #3 Beatrice Capra (DU) def. #2 Jamie Loeb (NC) 6-4, 6-4
2. #5 Hayley Carter (NC) def. Chalena Scholl (DU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #49 Hanna Mar (DU) def. #88 Whitney Kay (NC) 2-6, 6-4, 10-5
4. Caroline Price (NC) def. #45 Ester Goldfeld (DU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-6
5. Rachel Kahan (DU) def. #125 Ashley Dai (NC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Kate Vialle (NC) vs. Alyssa Smith (DU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-7, unfinished
1. Beatrice Capra/Hanna Mar (DU) def. #10 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (NC) 6-3
2. Jamie Loeb/Hayley Carter (NC) vs. Ester Goldfeld/Alyssa Smith (DU) 3-5, unfinished
3. Annie Mulholland/Marianne Jodoin (DU) def. #42 Ashley Dai/Laura Slater (NC) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,5,1,4,3)