WTEN: UNC advances to Sweet 16 with win over Georgia State
Posted May 11, 2014
Chapel Hill, N.C. — Seventh seed North Carolina cruised to a 4-0 victory over No. 64 Georgia State on Saturday in the second round of the NCAA Women’s Tennis Championship at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
North Carolina (26-5) will play either Texas A&M or Texas on Thursday, May 15 in the Round of 16 in Athens, Ga., at 9 a.m.
Carolina won the always critical doubles point with wins on courts two and three to take a 1-0 lead over Georgia State (13-9). Tessa Lyons and Kate Vialle finished first with an 8-3 score on three, while Jamie Loeb and Ashley Dai finished a few minutes later with an identical 8-3 victory on court two.
No. 59 Caroline Price was first to finish among the six singles matches on court 3. Her 6-2, 6-1 victory over Linn Timmermann gave Carolina a 2-0 advantage over the Panthers.
Fifth-ranked Hayley Carter put Carolina ahead 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Masa Grgen on court two.
Top ranked Jamie Loeb sealed the win with a 6-4, 6-2 win over No. 22 Abigail Tere-Apisah.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia State vs North Carolina
5/10/2014 at Chapel Hill, N.C.
(Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center)
#7 North Carolina 4, #64 Georgia State 0
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (NC) def. #22 Abigail Tere-Apisah (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #5 Hayley Carter (NC) def. Masa Grgan (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #59 Caroline Price (NC) def. Linn Timmermann (GSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. #105 Ashley Dai (NC) vs. Marcia Tere-Apisah (GSU) 6-2, 2-4, unfinished
5. Kate Vialle (NC) vs. Maryna Kozachenko (GSU) 5-6, unfinished
6. Tessa Lyons (NC) vs. Chaimaa Roudami (GSU) 6-1, 2-4, unfinished
1. #13 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (NC) vs. #25 Abigail Tere-Apisah/Masa Grgan (GSU) 5-6, unfinished
2. #76 Jamie Loeb/Ashley Dai (NC) def. Maryna Kozachenko/Tarani Kamoe (GSU) 8-3
3. Tessa Lyons/Kate Vialle (NC) def. Linn Timmermann/Chaimaa Roudami (GSU) 8-3
Georgia State 13-9; National ranking #64
North Carolina 26-5; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,1)
NCAA Tournament Second Round