WTEN: UNC defeats NC State, 7-0
Posted February 24, 2014
Chapel Hill, N.C. — The No. 46 NC State women's tennis team suffered its first loss of the season on Sunday, dropping a 7-0 decision to No. 6 UNC at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.
After a thrilling five-hour, 4-3 victory over Syracuse in its ACC opener on Friday, the Wolfpack couldn't overcome a talented Tar Heel lineup. State (6-1, 1-1 ACC), playing in its first road match of the year, faced four ranked singles players and one ranked doubles pair versus UNC, including the No. 1 and No. 8 ranked singles players and the No. 12 ranked doubles duo.
Elisha Hande and Liza Fieldsend both stretched their respective singles matches to a third set, but could not come away with a victory in either contest. Hande and Nicole Martinez, playing the No. 12 doubles pair of Carolina Price and Whitney Kay, left the court trailing 7-5 after the match was left unfinished due to UNC clinching the doubles point in the other two matches.
State will stay on the road for its next match, taking on No. 13 Clemson on Friday, Feb. 28.
#6 North Carolina 7, #46 NC State 0
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (UNC) def. Joelle Kissell (ST) 6-1, 6-3
2. #8 Hayley Carter (UNC) def. Rachael James-Baker (ST) 6-3, 6-2
3. #67 Caroline Price (UNC) def. Nicole Martinez (ST) 6-1, 6-1
4. #69 Whitney Kay (UNC) def. Liza Fieldsend (ST) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
5. Kate Vialle (UNC) def. Elisha Hande (ST) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Christy Sipes (ST) 7-5, 6-2
1. #12 Caroline Price/Whitney Kay (UNC) vs. Elisha Hande / Nicole Martinez (ST) 7-5, unfinished
2. Jamie Loeb/Ashley Dai (UNC) def. Sophie Nelson / Joelle Kissell (ST) 8-3
3. Kate Vialle/Laura Slater (UNC) def. Rachael James-Baker / Liza Fieldsend (ST) 8-3
NC State 6-1; National ranking #46
North Carolina 10-2; National ranking #6