WTEN: UNC takes over 1st in ACC with win at GT
Posted April 17, 2014
Atlanta — The seventh-ranked North Carolina women's tennis team took over sole possession of first place in the Atlantic Coast Conference after a 6-1 victory at No. 27 Georgia Tech on Thursday afternoon from the Ken Byers Tennis Center.
The Tar Heels (23-3, 12-1 ACC) began the day tied atop the league standings with Duke and Virginia, however, the Blue Devils lost at Clemson and Virginia was idle today.
Georgia Tech (11-8, 8-5) opened doubles play by winning on court three, forcing Carolina to win the opening point in come-from-behind fashion. Playing on court one, No. 15 Whitney Kay and Caroline Price defeated No. 4 Megan Kurey and Kendal Woodard 8-7 (7-3) to even the doubles at one victory apiece.
Jamie Loeb and Ashley Dai wound up giving the Tar Heels the early 1-0 lead with an 8-3 victory on court two.
No. 46 Caroline Price once again was the first finisher for Carolina in singles on court three, winning 6-0, 6-2 for a 2-0 lead.
No. 1 Jamie Loeb and No. 6 Hayley Carter were next to finish at 1 and 2 singles, respectively, to clinch the victory for the visiting Tar Heels.
Georgia Tech earned a win on court four, before Kate Vialle won on court six and 103rd ranked Ashley Dai closed out the match with a win at #5 singles.
Carolina has won 12 consecutive dual matches heading into its season finale at Clemson on Sunday at 11 a.m. The Tigers upset Duke, 4-3, on Thursday.
Tennis Match Results
North Carolina vs Georgia Tech
Apr 17, 2014 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Center)
#7 North Carolina 6, #27 Georgia Tech 1
1. #1 Jamie Loeb (NC) def. Kendal Woodard (GT) 6-3, 6-2
2. #6 Hayley Carter (NC) def. Megan Kurey (GT) 6-2, 6-4
3. #46 Caroline Price (NC) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-0, 6-2
4. Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Whitney Kay (NC) 6-2, 6-4
5. #103 Ashley Dai (NC) def. Muriel Wacker (GT) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
6. Kate Vialle (NC) def. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
1. #15 Whitney Kay/Caroline Price (NC) def. #4 Megan Kurey/Kendal Woodard (GT) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Jamie Loeb/Ashley Dai (NC) def. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT) 8-3
3. Rasheeda McAdoo/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) def. Hayley Carter/Tessa Lyons (NC) 8-5
North Carolina 22-3, 11-1 ACC; National ranking #7
Georgia Tech 11-7, 8-4 ACC; National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,2,4,6,5)