WTEN: Wolfpack Defeats College of Charleston, 7-0
Posted February 16, 2014
Raleigh, N.C. — The NC State women's tennis team won its fifth straight match to open the 2014 season with a decisive 7-0 victory over the College of Charleston on Sunday at the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center. The Wolfpack (5-0) now enters ACC play with an unblemished record for the second consecutive year.
Joelle Kissell and Sophie Nelson helped the Pack get off on the right foot on Sunday, clinching the crucial doubles point with their 8-4 win over Kelly Kambourelis and Mara Argyriou. Up 5-4, Kissell and Nelson won a crucial break point to go up 6-4, before breezing through the final two points to claim victory.
Elisha Hande and Nicole Martinez teamed together to win their match from the No. 1 doubles position, 8-1, over Katherine Schofield and Jenny Falcone. Hande and Martinez are now a perfect 4-0 on the year from the top doubles spot. In the third doubles match, Christy Sipes and Natalia Janowicz dropped an 8-0 decision to the Cougar duo of Samantha Maddox and Jamie Harrell.
In singles play, Martinez started out of the gate fast for the Wolfpack, winning easily over Argyriou 6-0, 6-0. From there, Kissell bounced back with her first singles victory in her last three matches, taking down Kambourelis 6-2, 6-1 while Liza Fieldsend won a hard-fought match 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-2 to earn the match-clinching point for the Pack.
With their wins in their respective matches, Kissell is now seven singles victories away from setting the all-time NC State record for career singles wins with 60, while Fieldsend improves to 4-0 in singles play and a combined 8-0 in both singles and doubles action on the year.
In No. 5 singles action, Hande defeated Schofield 6-4, 6-2 while Nelson took down Grace Baker from the No. 6 spot, 6-2, 6-0 to earn the final two points on the afternoon for the Wolfpack.
For its next match, NC State will host ACC newcomer Syracuse in the Orange's first official match as part of the ACC. The match will be played on Friday, Feb. 21 at 2:30 p.m.
#45 NC State 7, College of Charleston 0
- Singles competition
1. Joelle Kissell (ST) def. Kelly Kambourelis (COFC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Rachael James-Baker (ST) def. Brooke McAmis (COFC) 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
3. Nicole Martinez (ST) def. Mara Argyriou (COFC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Liza Fieldsend (ST) def. Samantha Maddox (COFC) 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 6-2
5. Elisha Hande (ST) def. Katherine Schofield (COFC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Sophie Nelson (ST) def. Grace Baker (COFC) 6-2, 6-0
- Doubles competition
1. Elisha Hande / Nicole Martinez (ST) def. Katherine Schofield/Jenny Falcone (COFC) 8-1
2. Joelle Kissell / Sophie Nelson (ST) def. Kelly Kambourelis/Mara Argyriou (COFC) 8-4
3. Samantha Maddox/Jamie Harrell (COFC) def. Christy Sipes / Natalia Janowicz (ST) 8-0
- Match Notes:
College of Charleston 2-3
NC State 5-0; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,1,4,2,5,6)